GetGlue iPhone App Review
I’ve been doing my best to talk up GetGlue and AdaptiveBlue for about as long as Are You Screening? has existed. Unfortunately, GetGlue has long been one of those things that I love in theory, but in actual practice find myself using far less than I would wish.
Like most things that have to do with social networks, GetGlue would take thousands of words to explain, but is nevertheless quite simple. Witness the length of explanation in their FAQ alone.
Basically, the general function of GetGlue is that it is a social network which focuses on things. Books, films, video games, wines, and many more are covered in the possibilities, and GetGlue latches onto what you’re doing on the internet to connect people by the things they’re interested in, and vice versa… sort of.
As a plug-in for Firefox, and now (thank God) Chrome, if you’re looking at IMDb.com, Amazon.com, or thousands of other sites, GetGlue will pop up and allow you to rate and review whatever you’re looking at, as well as see who else has visited that item recently – no matter where they visited it.
Already the possibilities are endless, as I’m sure anyone familiar with social networks will understand. You can follow people with similar interests, or people you really know, and whenever you visit a new book, film, etc., online, those people will show up in the GetGlue bar for that item. Ratings and opinions that automatically show up whenever you find something online.
There is more in store for you as well, because the network is theoretically endless. This blog is GetGlue enabled and on certain articles the GetGlue bar will show up at the bottom of the page if you have the plug-in installed, but you will also find the widget showing up whenever I link to a wide variety of websites. For example, if I’m talking about Toy Story 3, and link to IMDb.com‘s page for that title, you will see a small square with a “G” in it before the link. Hover over that little icon, and you will connect with GetGlue‘s information.
Now they’ve taken things to a new level with the recent release of an updated iPhone App. Adding to the abilities and structure driving the world that is GetGlue‘s social network, the latest iPhone App (which you can get here) adds the ability to “Check-In” to any book, movie, or anything else within the GetGlue framework.
It’s difficult to talk about the idea without calling it “FourSquare for stuff,” or such, because that gives such a good picture. With the ability to earn badges and see who else has checked in recently, the similarities are hard to deny.
Check out a quick video that will run you through the App.
Their website wraps it up pretty simply -
GetGlue app connects friends and fans in real-time around their favorite entertainment, while:
- Watching a TV Show
- Reading a new bestseller
- Listening to a favorite band
- Going to see a movie
- Playing a video game
- Drinking wine
- Discussing a topic – sports, celebrity, news & more
They’ve also got plenty of badges you can earn (including a lot of cool exclusives – see below), and you can get to the more general aspects to Like and review things from within the app.
Already a deceptively powerful and fun addition to the internet in general, the ability to check in adds to the experience and usefulness. While some may question the value and interest of letting people know that I’m playing Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been glad to run into my “friends” at Amazon and elsewhere so that I could have their reactions at hand.
The App features-
- Check-in to your favorite shows, movies, music, books and more
- Share check-ins with your Twitter and Facebook friends
- See what your friends are currently watching, reading or listening to
- Earn points, get stickers from GetGlue and major brands, and win free stuff
- Rate lists of popular shows, movies, music and books
- Get weekly new releases and old favorites picked just for you
- Access existing reviews, clips and ratings for > 20M movies, books and albums
- Take your favorite entertainment and suggestions with you everywhere
GetGlue has always been one of the coolest internet enhancements available, and the app only builds on that. With over 500,000 check-ins and reviews since the App’s release last Thursday, you won’t find yourself without some great connections to make.
And, if you want to check out what the online interface looks like, check out My GetGlue Profile.
Related articles by Zemanta
- GetGlue Launches on iPhone with Sexy 1UP Stickers (1up.com)
- GetGlue Blends Check-Ins With Social Recommendations In New iPhone App (techcrunch.com)
- Movie Geeks Stuck at GetGlue.com (cinematical.com)
- GetGlue App for iPhone, like FourSquare for TV, Movies, Books and Music (intomobile.com)
- GetGlue Aims to Provide Better Movie, Music and Book Recommendations (mashable.com)
- Get Glue Releases iPhone App, Let’s You “Check-in” To Media (thenextweb.com)